Gas burning on ovenThe sixth annual Gas Safety Week is but a few short weeks away, taking place between September 19th and 25th, with organisations all over the UK coming together to increase awareness of how dangerous poorly maintained gas appliances can be, with risks like fires, gas leaks, carbon monoxide poisoning and explosions included.

Thus far, 4,132 companies and groups have signed up to participate in this year’s awareness campaign to help spread the gas safety message. When companies sign up to the campaign, they’re sent a free toolkit that includes articles, social media updates, web banners, press releases, posters, PDFs and more so that they can help protect their customers and ensure that everyone understands just how dangerous gas appliances can actually be if not looked after properly.

The Gas Safe Register, which organises the safety week each year, has also come up with a really helpful Gas Map where you can enter your postcode and it will show you all the dangerous gas appliances that have been found in your local area. Given the fact that one in six homes has a dangerous gas appliance, it could certainly be worth having a look – and then having your boiler serviced by a reputable registered engineer. In the north-west of the UK, one in seven homes inspected by Gas Safe Register had unsafe gas appliances, so hopefully that’s all you need to hear in order to have yours checked out sooner rather than later.

Helpfully, the Register has also set up a reminder service (which is free to use) to jog your memory about when it’s time to have your appliances serviced. Simply pick your reminder month and enter your email, and then wait for your reminder to arrive. You can also have your reminder sent to your smartphone via text if you prefer.

Of course, it’s not just boilers that you need to be concerned about. Cookers are also an issue that you need to think about – and apparently, one in seven cookers checked by Gas Safe Register are dangerous. And perhaps even more worryingly, one in two gas fires that are inspected by the organisation are actually unsafe, so make sure you have yours checked on a regular basis. As for boilers, one in ten are found to be unsafe.

As a homeowner, you do need to be responsible about your safety and that of your family’s. Checking your gas appliances once a year at least is an excellent way of going about this, but you should also make sure that your choice of engineer is Gas Safe registered and always ask to see their Gas Safe ID card when they come to look at your boilers and more just so you can rest assured that they do know what they’re doing.

You can read about Jade Ullrich from Newquay, a mother of two, who suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a badly maintained gas appliance on the Gas Safe Register website. She didn’t find out if the appliances in her new home had been safety checked – and reading her story may well inspire you to ensure you do this as a matter of course in the future.

For boiler repairs in Preston, get in touch with us here at Home Services Assistance to see how we can help ensure your boiler is working safely.