Carbon Monoxide Awareness Month was developed by members of the CO Safety Group to highlight the dangers of Carbon Monoxide.

co-awareness-month-logo-subpage

Carbon Monoxide Kills!

Carbon Monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that has no smell, colour or taste. It can be released by any appliance that burns oil, solid fuel, wood or gas, including boilers, if they are not properly installed and maintained.

Protect yourself from Carbon Monoxide poisoning The best way to protect yourself is to make sure all your fuel burning appliances are serviced at least annually by a registered engineer.

Chimneys and flues should be inspected annually and swept, if required, by a registered technician.

As an additional precaution, you should install an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm. Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning Symptoms are sometimes mistaken for everyday illnesses, so they can be difficult to detect.

Symptoms include
• headache
• nausea
• breathless
• dizziness
• collapse
• unconsciousness

Do not ignore symptoms if:
• others in your home experience similar symptoms;
• symptoms disappear when you go out, and return when you come back;
• symptoms tend to be seasonal, e.g. you get more headaches during the winter when the heating is on.

What should I do if affected:
• open doors and windows for ventilation and go outside into the fresh air
• go to your GP or nearest A&E department
• if it is urgent, call 999 for an ambulance
• call the relevant emergency advice line:
Gas Emergency Service (24 hours) 0800 002 001. Oil (OFTEC) 0845 658 5080

Call Home Services Assistance to find out how we can help 0333 313 3134